The Bobolink is one of the most visually striking passerines in North America. Males—conspicuous morphologically, behaviorally, and vocally during the breeding season—look like they are wearing a tuxedo backward, leading some observers to refer to this species as the “skunk blackbird.” Male Bobolinks sing a long, bubbly song, often while flying low over their territories in a characteristic, helicopter-like flight. This sight was certainly the inspiration for the insightful, amusing, and onomatopoeic poem “Robert of Lincoln,” written by the nineteenth-century American poet William Cullen Bryant.
The Bobolink is polygynous and was one of the first species in which multiple paternity (females laying a clutch of eggs sired by more than one male) was documented.
Their breeding habitats are open grassy fields, especially hay fields, across North America. In high-quality habitats, males are often polygynous. Females lay five to six eggs in a cup-shaped nest, which is always situated on the ground and is usually well-hidden in dense vegetation. Both parents feed the young.
In addition, this North American breeder is an extraordinary migrant, traveling to south of the equator each autumn and making a round-trip of approximately 20,000 kilometers. One female known to be at least nine years old presumably made this trip annually, a total distance equal to traveling 4.5 times around the earth at the equator! Why these birds make such an arduous journey each year is not as well understood as how they do it; the mechanisms of orientation and navigation in this species have been rigorously studied by several investigators. Magnetic clues appear to be particularly important for migrating Bobolinks.
Bobolinks have been shot as agricultural pests in the southern United States, trapped and sold as pets in Argentina, and collected as food in Jamaica. The species is not as abundant as it was several decades ago, primarily because of changing land-use practices, especially the decline of meadows and hay fields. The Bobolink’s tenacity and adaptability, however, should continue to serve it well.
Related Bobolink items that you will need:
- Cap sleeve loose yoga t shirt /round neck /splicing design /quick dry fit fabric /stretchy lightweight comfy women gym sports top blouse
- Soft & Stretchy- 92% polyester, 8% spandex, light weigh breathable material, thin but not see-through, quick drying and moisture-wicking, machine wash and never out of shape, do not bleach
- Elegant & Beautiful- Flowy a-line bottom perfect to hide your tummy, loose fitted exercise yoga shirt is very cute wear with leggings, capris and skinny jeans
- Versatile- Yoga t shirt is great for gymwear, sports, running and casual daily life, also good for hiking, traveling and cosy holiday
- Size- From S to XXXL sizes for your more choice, please refer to our own size chart on left pictures
- Long sleeve tunic top dress with pockets /round neck /flowy a line pleated flare design /unique cute lace hem in front /soft lightweight cotton fabric /simple plain solid color women tshirt dress
- Soft & Stretchy- 35% rayon, 60% polyester, 5% spandex, super soft fabric keeps you feeling comfy and breathable, machine or hand wash and never out of shape, no bleach, no iron
- Flattering & Elegant- The swing tunic dress t shirt with lace hem is long enough to hide your belly and hip perfectly, loose fitting top dress is very cute wear with leggings, capris and skinny jeans
- Style Fit- Long tunic tee shirt dress is great for Fall and Winter, for office, business, travel, shopping, club and cozy holiday, also for casual daily wear
- Becky Wolff
- Kindle Edition
- Stay Lifted Records
- MP3 Music
- ebook format
- easy to read
- wonderful children's book
- Prime Video
- Arthur Scott, 1877-1949 Bailey
- Kindle Edition
- Charissa Tinsley
- CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
- Edition no. 1 (08/29/2014)
- Paperback: 38 pages
- Arthur Scott Bailey
- Kindle Edition