Do you want to know how to start bird watching? If yes, read on.
Bird watching is a wonderful hobby which anybody of any age can take up as an enjoyable past time. I’m sure you have awakened many mornings to the beautiful melody of birds chirping and singing. Wouldn’t you love to see the bird actually making the sounds?
Many people think you need to be an expert before you can become a ‘birder’, short for ‘bird watcher’. However this is not the case.
To learn how to start bird watching, try the following steps;
1. Start with purchase some bird watching equipment
There are measures you can take to attract birds to dedicated areas of your garden so that you can see them more clearly. You can erect bird houses, bird baths or bird feeders in an area of your garden. This will attract birds that are looking for food or water.
You will need a field guide in order to identify the local species in your area. Effectively a field guide is a book with illustrations of birds and tips for identifying them. The ‘Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds’ or the ‘Peterson Field Guide to Western Birds’ are the best books for new birders in the United States.
Wild birds are not very tame and thus they will easily scare. Hence you will need to observe these birds from a distance. In order to view these birds clearly you will need a pair of binoculars. The best birders tend to have the best binoculars which enable them to identify birds 100 yards away by their silhouette.
Wearing camouflage clothes can also help you to blend into your background and ensure you get even closer to the birds without startling them.
You will need a diary to record your bird sightings. It’s useful to note the different locations where you saw a particular species whether it is in your locality, town, country or on vacation. Some birders track sightings based on frequency and season. A useful software program to track your sightings is ‘Birder’s Diary’.
Read on for the next tip on how to start bird watching.
2. Next try bird listening
Go outside into your back garden, close your eyes and listen attentively to the magical sounds of nature. When you focus your attention on birds chirping, your mind will filter out all other sounds and you will become aware of an incredible melody that up to now you were oblivious to.
Open your eyes, try and identify where the sounds are coming from and move towards these sounds. See if you can spot the bird doing all the singing. See how close you can get before the bird gets startled and flies away. That’s how to start bird watching.
I’ll bet you are now curious as to the actual name of the birds you spotted.
3. Join a Bird Watching Club
Perhaps the best way to learn about bird watching is to join a bird watching club and go bird watching with experienced birders.
These individual will impart wisdom that will greatly expedite the learning process involved in getting acquainted with this hobby. They will recommend the best website, magazines and other publications to increase you knowledge.
It is advisable to build up your knowledge on birds by subscribing to a bird watching magazine. For UK birds subscribe to ‘Birdwatch’ for US birds subscribe to ‘Birder’s World’ or ‘Birding’.
The best way to meet experienced birders is to contact your local Audubon chapter or birding club. It is most likely that a local club in your area organizes birding excursions for non members. Run a Google search and book yourself on one of these trips. You will discover interesting habitats in your areas, exciting species, and gain incredible insights into how experienced birders go about their business. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, take notes and learn by doing.
Bird watching does have a relatively steep learning curve, but don’t let this detract from the enjoyment it brings. Tagging along with experienced birders will help you in terms of bird finding, bird identification, and recording of information.
Observe what experienced birders do and try to replicate it.
Now let’s move on to next tip on how to start bird watching successfully.
4. Watch Birds at Feeding Time
Put seeds into your bird feeder, sit back and observe the different type of birds that visit. Note their size, color, beak shape, wing span and flight patterns.
A good trick is to vary the food to attract different types of birds. Peanut butter attracts many different birds such as woodpeckers and cardinals. Songbirds and cockatiels like seeds. Use a variety of seeds, berries, fruit, nuts and sunflower seeds and note the different birds each attracts. Even planting the right flowers will attract species such as the humming bird.
A bird bath is another effective method for attracting birds. They tend to go to these for a drink or to bath in the steamy summer days.
Below is the last tip on how to start bird watching.
You need to realize that you can only spot certain birds at certain longitudes and latitudes at different times of the year. Birds are masters of migration and certain species are found in different countries at different times of the year. It is advisable to consult your local bird watching club for advice on bird species present in your locality through-out the year.
Hobeze.com [http://www.hobeze.com] – The Bird Watching Social Network
Martin O’ Flynn is director of the Hobby Social Network Hobeze.com. Set up a FREE Birdwatching Profile on [http://www.hobeze.com] and connect with fellow birders world wide.
The site contains free instructional bird watching videos, enables you to post your bird watching videos and images and is a fun way to express your birding passion.
Related bird watching accessories that you will need:
- 【Zoom Magnification 20X-60X】Powerful zoom magnification runs from 20x to 60x allows you to lock onto the target and zoom in for more details. 45 Degree angled eyepiece offers comfortable viewing. Wide Field of View brings nature closer to you.
- 【FMC Optical Lens & BAK4 Prism】Fully multi-coated lens and high quality BAK4 prism increase light transmission, deliver bright, clear, high-contrast images even in low-light conditions.
- 【Compact, Lightweight & Durable】Compact and Lightweight Spotting Scope is ideal for adults and kids for travel, hiking and camping. Durable framework and high-quality rubber armor provide non-slip grip, shock-proof grip and durable external protection, which enables this spotting scope to withstand the toughest weather conditions.
- 【Stable Tripod & Carrying bag】The tripod provides you stable observation from any angles. The rugged, specially designed carrying bag holds the spotting scope and all accessories for easy traveling and storage.
- 【Universal Smartphone Adapter】Comes with a universal smartphone adapter that you can use cell phone for video camera and image capturing to explore the nature of the world easily through the phone screen.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
- Jon L. Dunn, Jonathan Alderfer
- National Geographic
- Edition no. 7 (09/12/2017)
- Paperback: 592 pages
- 12X50 High Power Magnification - Have the best view in your outdoor adventures. To see 12X closer with a clear and bright image with the generous, light-gathering 50mm objective wide lens. Perfect for Hiking,Hunting,Climbing,Birdwatching, Ball games,Watching Wildlife and Scenery.
- Comes with a Gosky 2018 newest quick alignment smartphone adapter. Compatible with iphoneXs, X, 8plus, 8,7plus, 7,6, 6s, 6plus, 5, 5s, 4s,SE, Samsung GALAXY S10, S9, S8, S6, S6, S5, S10 Edge, Note, LG, HTV, Sony, and almost all other smartphones on the market.
- Large BAK-4 Prism inside and Fully Multi-coated Lens Coating - Strengthen the key function of a monocular, guarantee superior light transmission and brightness, make your view brighter, clearer and delivers crisp images.
- Solid Framework and shock-absorbing Rubber Armor with Stripes -Its tight fitting protection makes it usable to withstand the toughest weather conditions. And The rubber armor with stripes makes it comfortable for use and keeps it from slipping out from your hand.
- Waterproof, Dust-proof, and Shockproof Design: Nitrogen-filled waterproof and O-ring sealed optics prevent moisture, dust and debris and ensures the living waterproof function.
- [High powered binoculars] 10x high power magnification with 25mm objective lens provide high definition image at 1000 yards out. The best power to get the image sharp without color-changed or blurred.
- [HD Vision with Quality Optics ] Fully multi -coated optics guarantee for a brighter view and sharp images. BAK-4 roof prism makes high light transmittance over 98.74% and has good anti-fogging and non-chromatic aberration. Featured by BAK-4 Lens also provides low light night vision.
- [Durable, reliable quality binoculars] The durability of rubber armor and anti-skid design makes the binoculars have shock-resistance, anti-skid feature. Easy to focus by smooth "center-focus knob" and right eye lens. Suitable for whole family both adults and kids.
- [Small Binoculars Pocket Size] Fold able design and only 0.6lb. lightweight makes it can be folded into palm size that easy to take it everywhere---opera, concert, theater, shows, traveling, hiking, safari, wildlife, bird watching, outdoor sports.
- [100% Quality Warranty] We promise worry-free 12 months warranty and 24h customer service. Any time you encounter any problems don't hesitate to contact us. We will present a satisfactory solution for you.
- Aaron Reynolds
- Ten Speed Press
- Hardcover: 208 pages
- When it's cold, the mug is encircled with elegant silhouettes of birds on a wire. Pour in a hot beverage and watch as 18 bird species appear in full color. Go ahead and tweet about it. #UPGBirdsOnAWireMug #UPGuild
- 10 oz. ceramic mug. Comes in a colorful box.
- Color changing cups are microwave safe, but not dishwasher safe. Hand wash only. Don't soak.
- Click on "The Unemployed Philosophers Guild" near the product title to see more great gifts. UPG truly has presents of mind.
- 【Powerful 12x42 Binoculars, but Lightweight Enough】 Weight only 1.1 pounds (0.6 Pounds lighter than 10x50 full size binoculars). Equipped with 12x powerful magnification, 42mm large objective lens and 367ft/1000yds large field of view. Capable of delivering a clear face from more than 650 feet away.
- 【18mm Large Eyepiece Binoculars, Larger Image, Clearer Details】2.25 times the image size of 12mm eyepiece binoculars (e.g. 10x25, 12x25, 10x21 compact binoculars). Large eyepiece makes full use of 12x magnification, deliver larger image, ensure clearer details
- 【HD Vison with Quality Optics】 Large 16.5mm BAK4 Prism and Fully Multi-coated lens guarantee the key elements of an HD vision, brighter view and crisp images. Perfect for birds watching, hunting, Concerts and Sports.
- 【Clear Weak Light Vision】 Adorrgon Binoculars can deliver clear vision in weak light condition, but not in not completely darkness. Perfect for Hunting or Concerts at night. Comes with Carrying Case*1, Eyepiece *1 Lens Protection Covers*1, Cleaning Cloth *1 and Neck Strap*1.
- 【Lightweight, Durable and Anti-slip Grip】 Binoculars with only 1.1 pounds, perfect for traveling or hunting. Durable structure with odorless rubber armor for shock-resistance and Anti-slip grip.
- 🐦 AMAZING CLOSE UP VIEWS OF YOUR FAVORITE WILD BIRDS! Made from high transparency, see-through acrylic so you can study the beautiful markings of each bird. Makes bird watching fun and easy from the comfort of your own home while relaxing in your favorite chair, working at your desk, making dinner in the kitchen, and more. Kids and pets also love to watch the birds sitting inches away from their faces.
- 🐦 ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF WILD BIRDS WITHOUT NEEDING BINOCULARS! If you are looking for a top-of-the-line bird feeder, to attract birds right to your window, you will love our Nature's Hangout Outdoor Window Bird Feeder! It is made from high transparency, see-through acrylic so you can study and appreciate the beauty of local bird species. Now you can enjoy bird watching from the comfort of your home while drinking your morning coffee, making dinner, or working at your desk!
- 🐦 THE EASIEST BIRD FEEDER YOU'LL EVER CLEAN... We created our high-end bird feeder with you in mind. The removable tray makes it easy to quickly and easily clean. Simply remove the tray, and discard any debris and old seeds. You can also quickly wipe down the surface with a wet towel to get rid of any dirt or water marks. And you don't have to worry about bird seed staying wet and turning nasty. We made drain holes in the tray and main feeder so the seed can dry out. Enjoy!
- 🐦 PROVIDES HOURS OF ENJOYMENT FOR CHILDREN, CATS, & THE ELDERLY! Maybe you are looking for great way to teach your curious child about nature and birds- or you're trying to keep your lazy cat entertained throughout the day- or maybe you're looking for a way to help your elderly parents or grandparents feel at peace- Our Window Bird Feeder will provide hours and hours of wholesome enjoyment for all ages!
- 🐦 INCLUDES OUR LIFETIME "STRONGEST SUCTION CUPS GUARANTEE." Providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service is our #1 Priority. We promise you that your Nature's Hangout bird feeder will never fall down, or we'll provide you with a full refund! You can click the yellow "Add to Cart" button today with confidence- knowing that you are getting the best window bird feeder!
- Birds & Birders Publishing
- Independently published
- Paperback: 125 pages
- MyBackyardBirding (12/30/2017)
- Running time: 59 min
- Cardinal, Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, Dark Eyed Junco, Chipmunk