The Gray Jay Bird is a widespread resident of North America’s boreal and sub-alpine coniferous forests. Occupation of permanent all-purpose territories in such climatically hostile biomes is made possible by this bird’s unusual food storage behavior. Copious sticky saliva from enlarged salivary glands is used to fasten food items in trees, food that is used extensively by pairs throughout the winter and even during other times of the year.
Typically by the age of two years old, Gray Jay bird will breed. Pairs are monogamous and remain together for their lifetime, but it will find another mate following the disappearance or death of their partner. Gray jay pairs breed during March and April, depending on latitude, in permanent, all-purpose territories. Second broods are not attempted, perhaps allowing greater time for food storage.
This species nests during late winter in cold, snowy, and apparently foodless conditions, with eggs incubated at temperatures as low as -30° C. Second broods or replacement nests are not attempted in the seemingly more favorable May-June breeding period used by other boreal passerines. Once fledged, young stay in the natal territory until early June, when the dominant brood-member expels its siblings. Juveniles (dominant and expelled) remain on their natal or adopted territories until the next breeding season begins, when they are expelled in turn by adults. Thus, Gray Jay Bird does not breed cooperatively, with young lingering on to help at the nest, as various other species of jays are known to do.
Gray jays are omnivorous. They eat small mammals, nestling birds, carrion, fungi, fruits, and seeds. Occasionally, Gray jay bird also eat live prey.
Gray jay bird themselves are consumed by several bird species including great gray owls, northern hawk-owls, and Mexican spotted owls. They warn each other of predators by whistling alarm notes, screaming, chattering, or imitating, and/or mobbing predators.
Related Gray Jay Bird accessories that you will need:
- ENTERTAINING: Feed and watch wild birds from the comfort of your home with a backyard feeding station! Attract a wide variety of songbirds by offering a diverse array of bird food in different types of feeders. Additional water cup provides everything birds need to make your feeding station their daily destination. Place it outside your home near a window or by your patio or deck and have a clear viewing angle to hours of free and consistent delightful entertainment.
- GIFT IDEA: A great gift idea for parents, nature lovers and children. Maintaining the feeding stand, ensuring it's well stocked with seed becomes an enjoyable activity that's great for keeping elderly busy or teaching young ones responsibility. The feeling of joy and satisfaction that comes from feeding hungry animals is priceless. Decorative and ornate outdoor decor that can be used for multiple purposes: birdhouse holder, hang plants, mount ornaments, hummingbird feeders, bird swings & more.
- EFFECTIVE: Twin top hooks are great for hopper, tube and nyjer feeders - effective in attracting smaller birds like finches, chickadees, titmice and junocs. A set of two additional arms offers more hanging options such as a suet basket for attracting nuthatches, woodpeckers, parrots, wrens and starlings. The mesh tray can hold mealworms, peanuts, dried fruit or milo which attract ground feeding birds like cardinals, juncos, doves, robins and jays. The plastic water bowl functions as a birdbath.
- PREMIUM DESIGN: Rust resistant, heavy duty sturdy steel construction. Quality accessories, adjustable attachments, pole rod and hardware. Easily self adjust component parts to any desired location on the post by loosening and tightening wing nuts by hand. No tools required! Forked base prong adds stability & permits easy placement. Step down on the stake to anchor and plant into the floor. Mesh tray & water bowl detach for easy cleaning. Squirrel baffle compatible. *BIRD FEEDERS SOLD SEPERATELY*
- GUARANTEE: GrayBunny offers premium products for your lawn and garden while exceeding highest industry standards and offering impeccable customer care. If you'd like your money back at any time within 1 year of your purchase, just ask. Click the "Add to cart" button to be on your way towards enjoying nature from the comfort of your home with this all metal, complete freestanding multi-station kit!
- ENJOY BIRD WATCHING - This window mounted bird feeder is see-through, making is fun to enjoy colorful wings, bird calls, and feathers up close.
- THREE-SECTION DESIGN - Fitted with two seed, nut or fruit trays with ventilated drain bottoms, each clear acrylic bird feeder also has a built-in water drink section!
- BIGGER, MORE ACCESSIBLE DESIGN - Each wild bird feeder offers a 5" opening perfect for giving cardinals, finches, orioles and other birds plenty of landing room.
- WEATHER-RESISTANT DURABILITY - These hanging bird feeders are crafted with a heavier-duty transparent acrylic that's squirrel proof and weather resistant!
- GUARANTEED SATISFACTION - Along with each window attached bird feeder you'll also receive three strong suction cups and a reliable money back guarantee.
- Specially Designed Feeding Hole Ports
- Perforated Removable Screen Base
- Made From Recycled Plastic
- No Assembly Required
- MyBackyardBirding (01/12/2018)
- Running time: 24 min
- Gray Catbird, Blue Jay, Brown Thrasher, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal
- Made entirely out of poly lumber. Won't crack, split, or fade. Will last for years and years to come.
- Removable seed tray with handle which makes refilling super easy! Will hold approximately 8 cups of seed.
- Stainless steel screws ensure the quality!
- Can be pole mounted or hung! The hanger is removable and the bottom of the feeder can be mounted to a pole.
- Made in the USA in Southern Indiana by skilled birders!
- Wood link recycled plastic in-shell peanut feeder is made from up to 90% recycled plastic
- Holds 1/2 lb. in-shell peanuts
- Easy to fill and clean; Hang with included cable
- Attracts a wide variety of birds
- Made in USA
- Neville Recording
- MP3 Music
- Princeton University Press
- Nathan Emery
- Princeton University Press
- Hardcover: 192 pages
- Neville Recording
- MP3 Music
- Herman J Viola
- Smithsonian Institution Press
- Edition no. 1st (01/01/1970)
- Hardcover: 152 pages